I've not written anything about WikiLeaks recently because I've found the whole circus surrounding Julian Assange rather dizzying. Reading the commentariat on Guardian Cif has hardly helped my feverish state of mind over the last few days and I must admit that I found myself beginning to loathe my fellow man for a moment. That moment has passed, I'm glad to say.
Suffice to say, I do think that Julian Assange should probably answer these charges in Sweden, but I also have the feeling that this is indeed part of an obvious and concerted campaign to 'get him'. None of this dizziness, however, takes away from the fact that WikiLeaks has been serving up some interesting, if hardly surprising, morsels in the diplomatic cables episode [this blog referenced WikiLeaks a couple of years back regarding the leaked BNP membership list - much more exciting]. Hearing that China isn't a monolithically stupid country convinced that the People's Democratic Republic of Korea is a bastion of like-minded souls against the world didn't take my breath away. Nor did the revelation that Putin's as corrupt as the Church, or that pressure was brought to bear on Spain regarding the Jose Couso case. Sadly, these are slightly depressing truths that we all kind of knew already, just confirmed in dull, bureaucratic language.
To cheer myself up, I've been thinking of some things WikiLeaks could reveal in the future. Here are mine. You can share yours in the comments…
- Memos that prove me right about there being little or no evidence of WMDs in Iraq prior to the war, and that Blair misled parliament.
- Stuff about the banks and how they're all bastards. Ideally some memos proving that they laugh at the rest of us for funding their rescue. Because I'm sure they do.
- Something about alien life. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but after the important-but-nowhere-near-as-exciting-as-it-might-have-been NASA announcement last week, it would be great to read.
- Categorical confirmation that Aznar and the PP intentionally misled the country over 11M.
- Anything that makes Dick Cheney look even madder than he already does (like, he picked out crowns for himself and Bush or something).
- Clear evidence of corruption in FIFA, UEFA and European leagues.
- Anything they have on Dr. David Kelly. I more or less accept the suicide story but the whole case stinks.
- Proof that 9/11 'truthers' are led by a 7-foot lizard.
- Material covering the huge increase in opium crop since the beginning of the Afghanistan war, which companies are profiting and by how much.
- Anything at all to do with Catalan politics. Just so we can see how special they feel.
How about you? What would you like to see revealed by WikiLeaks?